1. Research, develop and implement laser and optical technologies to support LBS Development.
2. Apply hands-on skills in the lab to develop laser, optical, optomechanical, and/or optoelectronic test methods and fixturing for critical parameter optimization & validation of optical imaging and laser systems.
3. Perform statistical analysis of lab data and demonstrate correlation with theoretical calculations.
4. Contribute to the analysis, conceptual design, development, and testing of LBS and Other Optical Systems
5. Operate as part of a design/development team, which includes other Department engineers
6. For training and developmental purposes, the incumbent may receive assignments that include some work that is typically of a higher level.
1. Bachelor of Science Degree in Physics or Optical Engineering or an equivalent engineering degree with 4 years of experience in the optical and/or laser system development; or master’s degree, preferably in Physics or Optical Engineering or an equivalent engineering degree.
2. Knowledge of laser and other optical systems is helpful, including diode laser tuning, focus variation, and confocal systems and development.
3. Experience with design, analysis and tolerancing of optical systems
4. Design and system simulation/analysis using a variety of software tools to support engineering development (e.g. Matlab, Zemax, Code V, etc.)
5. Software development and integration of laser and other optical systems is helpful.
6. Ability to travel domestic and/or internationally approximately 10%